The Classen Ten Penn neighborhood was developed in the first decade of the 20th Century, as the Oklahoma Railway Company extended a street car line along Blackwelder Avenue to N.W. 16th Street. The key impetus for this development was the founding of Epworth University in 1904. A cooperative effort involving entrepreneurs, such as John Shartel and Anton Classen, and city officials successfully recruited Methodist University to the outskirts of the city. The University's original location was two blocks to the north of the survey area. In 1919, it was moved to Northwest 23rd Street and Blackwelder and renamed Oklahoma City University.
Photo and text source: classentenpenn.org